Sunday, August 13, 2006

Birthday

I had my 66th birthday last week and one of my favorite presents was on a card from my sister-in-law. It was a button that said "I've Survived Damn Near Everything". And I have! I've found that in life you either survive circumstances or cave in. You can get through many problems by standing perfectly still and gathering your thoughts. In serenity comes clear answers or at least rational ones. You make too many mistakes by acting or reacting impulsively.

For instance....I bought a new fridge from Sears in May. It was defective so they replaced it within a week. Good service, right? Well, the new fridge had a seal so strong that the whole thing pulled away from the wall every time I tried to open it! I phoned and visited the large appliance department a few times asking what I should do. I was told to lower the temperature in the fridge; blame my ceramic tile floors; I had no guarantee with Sears; I had a 3 month guarantee with Sears; I had a 12 month guarantee with Sears. Finally, I decided to return the fridge for a different one costing more. No deal! The department manager refused because I'd already returned one (defective). So I phoned the store manager and made a strong but polite request for fair treatment. My new fridge will arrive this Thursday!

The moral of this story is to stick to your guns but do it politely. Also, go to top management when necessary.



No comments: