Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Dreary Day

It's a terribly dreary day today...overcast and threat of rain. It makes sense that we should use a day like this to do extra work inside the house but I get terribly lethargic when the weather is bad. My spirits and energy rise on warm, sunny days and that's when I usually dive into intense house cleaning...all the while resenting that I'm stuck in the house on such a nice day. Go figure!

My friend phoned last night and convinced me I should go on walks with her and her Bruce Trail friends. I only agreed after she explained that the group I'd be joining is composed of a few 80 year olds. I know that walking is one of the best exercises and really do find it enjoyable, but I've gotten much busier in my golden years and have many things to do that I enjoy even more. Anyway, it will be a new experience going out with this group so it's worth a try.

It's wise to try new things...unless it's something we know we'll hate. A few years ago my husband and his best friend wanted to take their wives on a 2 month sailing trip in the Caribbean (32' boat). The other wife thought it was a wonderful idea but I was in shock. I knew I'd detest beyond belief being confined on a sailboat for days/weeks on end and refused to go. The men went alone and enjoyed themselves on what they considered one of the best trips they'd ever had. The friend's wife joined her husband when my husband came home and they sailed on for 2 more months. They loved it so much they plan to do it again. I salute them! But for me, I'll always be glad I didn't go. Sometimes we're sorry we didn't try a new experience and sometimes we're grateful we had the foresight to say "no".

It's interesting that some of us are more adventurous than others and I've learned not to be ashamed of my need to be on safe ground. We are what we are and that's all we are!



No comments: