Friday, November 10, 2006

I'm Going on a Cruise!!

I am so darned thrilled because I'm finally getting to go on a cruise...always wanted to do this but my husband didn't. It's only a 4 day budget cruise to the Bahamas but this is a big deal for me. There will be at least 44 seniors from my park going and they're all people who enjoy life so we'll have a wonderful time.

I married young and money was hard to come by. Raising 3 children and buying a house on just my husband's salary (I only worked part-time) doesn't leave a lot for luxuries. I wouldn't change any part of it, though, because what you go through in your lifetime is what makes you the person you are. My husband and I both came from relatively poor families so the few luxuries we were able to come by...like owning our own home...were never taken for granted. I know that being able to go on this wonderful cruise was all made possible by the blood, sweat, and tears of both me and my husband over a great many years.

My mother-in-law sort of set the stage for me when it comes to grabbing the moment. She had the most wonderful attitude about life and couldn't wait to try new things...like going motorcycle riding when she was in her 70's. All anyone had to say was "do you want to go..." and she was out the door, not caring where she was going but just happy to be having a new experience. She, unfortunately like me, had little time for housework because there were always so many other interesting things to do.

This is what I've found retirement life to be like. Our children are grown and our worklife is done so now we have the time to play again. Life is good!



No comments: