Saturday, November 11, 2006

Lost Kitty

This morning I heard a yowling outside my trailer and thought it was a lost child. A bit worried, I raced outside just in time to see the tail end (literally) of a cat disappear into the bushes. We have the odd stray cat roaming around so I didn't think too much of it until a bit later when I heard that strange yowling again. This time I surprised the pretty little kitty sitting on my patio and crying for all he was worth. Before he could race off, I saw that he was a really beautiful Siamese cat. Knowing he couldn't be a stray and that his owner must be frantic to find him, I placed a saucer of milk out to try and lure him closer.

Now I'm allergic to cats but love them to death and would have a few if they didn't make me sneeze and itch. I realized that this little kitty could easily get eaten by an alligator or wander onto the road if he wasn't caught soon so I decided to take him in if I could catch him. I was willing to take the chance of a few sneezes. His owner had to be somewhere in the park and should be easy to find so I wouldn't have him long.

Apparently even a lost Siamese cat will turn his nose up at skim milk so he continued to wail but kept his distance. I left the milk out anyway and went to the pool. When I returned, I heard a lady hurrying up the road calling for her pet (I assumed it was her pet she was calling for because she was promising him a nice treat!). She was frantic as I'd expected and was very relieved, but weepy, when I told her that her cat had been around the area all day. She continued looking for him and I could hear different neighbors saying they'd just seen the cat in one place or another. Moments later she hollered out that she had found him and thanked everyone within hearing distance.

Pet lovers are very considerate of one another because we know how very much we treasure our pets. They become like children to us and we refer to ourselves as their Mommy and Daddy. Sound silly? We don't care! Pets can provide us with more happiness than anyone could ever want. They are ALWAYS there for us. They are thrilled when we come home to them (they actually look up). They ask for nothing but food and water (and you don't have to cook it or make it colorful on the plate). They're warm on your feet (some let you place you feet on top of them but my dog only tolerated my feet underneath him).

At my home in Canada I have a lovely ink drawing of the dog we had for 15 years until he passed away. It is framed and hanging on the wall where I can see him many times through the day. When I look at that picture it brings back so many memories of him...like how smart he was, how good he was, and how loved he was. Pet lovers will understand.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your story brought back memories of all the pets I have had, have right now, and have rescued in all the odd situations they find themselves in. I do so understand what you are writing about.
And good luck with the Bingo and I will wait to hear how the cruise turns out. Never been myself!

bluebird of paradise said...

lucky and cookie say hello.......