Sunday, April 01, 2007

Just a Moment

I had a rare day to myself today and used part of the morning to amble around the flea market. Half of the stalls were closed for the summer...Florida would be lost without the snowbirds...but I did manage to buy an old set of salt and pepper shakers for $1.

I left the flea market and drove up to Ross' hoping they'd gotten some new bathing suits in but they hadn't so I moved on to Beall's. Beall's is by far my favorite store and I think it can only be found in Florida. Whoever does their buying for them knows how a visitor to the south wants to dress...the fabric colors and patterns are bright, light, and scrumptious. Both quality and price are good, too. Because I was by myself I could spend all the time I wanted just browsing but I finally bought a terrific Alia shirt that was 40% off.

When I finished shopping it was close to 1 P.M. so I drove to a nearby Red Lobster for lunch. My waiter, who could have been my son-in-law's (David) twin, moaned loudly "Are you all by yourself???". Why do people think it's sad to eat alone? Sometimes it's pleasant and that's how it was today.

I placed my order and then sat quietly observing the diners around me. Very close was a dear little family of Mom, Dad, and three little girls. The youngest girl had pushed her chair right up against her father's and, the whole time I was there, demanded his full attention. She chattered away to him in Spanish and occasionally had to recapture his attention by calling "Poppy!".

What impressed me was his calm exterior. He never chastised her or acted as though he resented the fact that his other children weren't getting their fair share of him...not to mention his wife. My guess is that he might possibly be a soldier who had been away for a while and the little girl just couldn't get enough of him. Her mother noticed me watching and smiled at me. I'm glad she understood I wasn't being critical but was just enjoying the family's dynamics.

Jason, my waiter, brought my lunch of deep fried flounder (I'd asked for broiled), mashed potatoes (notice, no fries), salad, and those unbelievably tasty cheese buscuits.

Pretty darned nice day out by myself!

3 comments:

bluebird of paradise said...

i wish i were there with you , you make me wistful for florida life. i miss it and daydream about up an moving there, permantly. i have not been able to settle in since i got home. i miss the comradery and fun. and feeling loved and special even though i'm not............

patsyrose said...

You are much more special than you know. You make the world a happier and sunnier place wherever you are. What an achievement!

patsyrose said...

That last comment was directed at Marilee!!!!!