Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Site Meter

How can I explain the problems I've had trying to insert a site meter on my blogs? I tried a few times in the past year and couldn't figure out what Site Meter was telling me to do so I just kept cancelling it. This last attempt sent me to the Blogger help section where I threw myself on the mercy of anyone willing to take the time to explain to me, in "infant" language, how to do it. A very nice person answered my request quickly but apparently didn't believe I'm as dumb as I am and explained the process as though directing the explanation to a 10 year old. I'm not that good! Then I got the bright idea to go into the help section of Site Meter and follow the directions. Simple, you say? Nooooo!

I was smart enough to print out a few directions but I haven't a clue where I got them...I've been struggling with this supposed simple task for too long. These directions were almost down to my level but I was able to follow them okay. I was told to go onto the "layout" or "template" link on my blog. Whoopee! I found it!!

Then I was told I'd be on the "add and arrange page element". Sure enough, there it was. Now I was getting excited. Next I was told to click on the "add on" link. There was none. Unbelievably, I'd gotten this far and my damn page had no "add on" link. I searched around a bit but finally gave up and almost cancelled the Site Meter once again.

Today I had finished writing my blog and decided, just for the heck of it, to look at the layout page again. The "ad on" link was there!! Suddenly it disappeared again and I was furious. If I was the paranoid type I would have thought that Blogger.com was playing tricks with this poor old lady. I went in and out of the site and couldn't get that link back. So I went out to lunch.

Just now I tried again and the link was there. I did a few odd things (not sure what) and was finally able to put Site Meter on my blog site. I'm not sure but I think it might only be on the last blog I wrote, though. Guess I'll find out soon.

P.S. I just published this blog and the site meter was there. I am so happy!

P.P.S. I just checked my older blogs and the site meter is on them also. I'm so happy I could spit.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I know how happy your are but...why?

patsyrose said...

The site meter tells me how many people read my blogs. It also tells me all kinds of other things, such as which country they are in. I'm absolutely amazed that 1/3 of the people who read my blogs in the past 4-5 hours are from China!!! Can you believe it?