Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Centipedes

I can't figure out why I get so many centipedes in the house. I just tallied up the number I find in the bathtub in the morning and they seem to appear about 4 times a week. That's a lot. I hate them with a passion.

When my husband was alive I used to go screaming to him when I saw one of the beasties but now I have to deal with them myself. I still hate the little buggers but my fear of them has lessened and it helps to be armed with a can of Raid.

Spiders don't affect me in the same way. I could almost share a tiny portion of my house with them if they didn't get on me. Centipedes, on the other hand, must be terminated. I refer to the big ones as breeding stock.

My daughter told me a cute, if creepy, story about a vacation she had in Hawaii with her husband and 2 children (Jake wasn't born then). Lisette was probably around 3 or 4 and had a love for all creatures big or small and that included bugs. Shelley discovered the mother of all centipedes in their rental and planned to kill it but Lisette intervened by crying "don't kill my friend!". John had to catch the critter and release it unharmed outside. Her friend!!! She obviously doesn't carry many of her grandmother's genes...especially the ones that abhor centipedes.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

You missed the part where John was bashing the thing with his boot - he stopped when Lisette got so upset but the "poor" - shiver - thing was already in its death convulsions...he scooped it into a plastic cup and put it on the TV. I was less than enthusiastic to have Lisette's "friend" with us for even an hour!

bluebird of paradise said...

you are going to kill your self with that raid can. try stomping on them.............or better still become a buddhist and wrap them in tissue and gently place them outdoors....
what comes around .....
goes around.........
in the next life chances are you will be a bug!

patsyrose said...

Marilee...don't put thoughts like that in my head or my nightmares will be all your fault!