Saturday, June 02, 2007

Clearing Stuff Out

My husband and I lived in this house since 1968 and I think he kept every wood scrap and every obsolete curtain rod we've ever had. Now that my basement renovation is complete...yeah!, I'm in the process of removing all the stuff that never should have been given basement space.

Luckily I have a terrific neighbor who will see to it that anything I pull out of the basement will be whisked away without me having to take loads to the dump. He also offered to help bring it out but I'm determined to do this job myself.

Today I cleared the wood and odd assortments of metal from my laundryroom. I know they've been there for years and I assume my husband thought he'd use them one day. Then I pulled a bit from his workroom but that is a little overwhelming at this point and I'll need full days and full energy to tackle it properly.

Just as I thought my workday was done I foolishly went into the toolshed and realized there was a lot of wood there, too, so I added it to the pile in my driveway. My neighbor will have it all gone by tomorrow but I've warned him there are a few tons still to go. I don't think he believes me!

Just a note to husbands everywhere...get rid of all the crap you keep just in case you might need it. If you pass away before your wife she's the one who has to dispose of it all. And if your wife is anything like me, she has her own crap to deal with.

No comments: