Sunday, July 01, 2007

Becoming Conservative

When I was young I was aware that people seemed to become more conservative as they aged but never believed it would happen to me. I was sort of a wild girl who thoroughly enjoyed dipping my toes in dangerous waters. Taking chances was exhilarating.

These days I take as few chances as possible, feel my security terribly threatened when there is social unrest in my country, and become irritated too easily when faced with juvenile idiocy. I have become what I used to despise...a crotchety old woman who just wants my world to run smoothly and preferably quietly.

When did that wild, full of life girl disappear? I remember having to tone down when I met the man who would become my husband (he was mature, responsible, and definitely not a free spirit). After my children were born I began to realize that it would be best for them if everyone in the world behaved responsibly, including me.

By the time middle age had shown it's unwanted face, I had gained an interest in the importance of politics. There must have been still a vestige of liberalism in me at that time because I thought the New Democratic party would be the saving grace of Canada and supported it with my vote and volunteer services. When they became the ruling party in Ontario and almost bankrupted the province, I lost faith in politics.

Slowly, but surely, I adopted more conservative views until today when I have to admit I've reached the age of no nonsense. I don't like change. I don't like disruptions of any kind (you know what I think about native uprisings), and it isn't fun staying up late anymore,

Not all old gals become conservative but the wild ones seem kind of weird to the rest of us. More and more, as each day passes, I want to bask in a sea of peace and safety. I accept that uncertainty is better handled by the young because it only keeps me awake worrying all night.

Heaven help me, I've morphed into a Conservative.

No comments: