Monday, September 10, 2007

Vote in a Burka?

Elections Canada is allowing women hidden under a burka to vote. They must show a photo I.D. (with uncovered face?) or have another phantom burka covered person verify their identity. It's got me wondering if we allow someone to immigrate to Canada and become Canadian citizens without ever showing their faces. Somehow, in this world of "political correctness", it wouldn't surprise me.

Muslims are coming forward and saying that it is personal choice, not religious demand, that a woman cover herself from head to toe with a burka. In truth, it is one of the most demeaning examples of female behaviour that I've ever seen. This habit can't last for long in a free country because the women themselves will rebel but I just don't understand why Elections Canada is allowing a fetish to rule something as important as an election.

There's something about a woman (if it is a woman) sailing through the streets completely clad in a black robe that even covers her face that gives me chills. I feel so sorry for her because she's imprisoned in that getup. There's absolutely no possibility of that woman blending in with her new Canadian neighbors. She is isolated.

It's difficult for me to believe a woman would willingly hide herself like this and I'm inclined to think that it's possibly a fanatically controlling husband or father that is pulling the strings. Maybe, or maybe not, but it certainly lends itself to that interpretation.

This is a free country and that's why these people came here in the first place so they have the right to dress in this fashion if they choose. I can't accept that they have the right to vote or obtain I.D. without showing their faces, though.

When you immigrate to any country you must accept the rules and laws of that country which should only be changed by a majority vote. That's what makes us a free country. Political correctness can be a noose around our necks if we allow it to blind us to simple logic.

In Canada we do it our way and if it's not to your liking then maybe you shouldn't come here to live.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Wonder what would happen if I decided to veil myself with jeans and a t-shirt. Do you think I would be able to vote?