Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The Problem with AOL

I presently use high speed AOL Canada for my internet service. I also spend half the year in Florida where I can't use the AOL Canada modem. My dilemma is that I have 2 choices. One, I can keep the modem and pay $100 deposit which will come off my service in April. I will also be charged the regular price for high speed AOL while I'm in Florida even though I'll only have slow dial up service. Two, I can cancel AOL and return the modem but I have to disconnect and have no internet service from the day I call them to return the modem.

I spoke to one of their representatives at length, explaining that I was a long term AOL user and couldn't understand why I have to disconnect all this stuff without paying a heavy penalty, plus pay for high speed for six months when I wasn't even getting it. It's policy, I was told.

My policy is that I'm not putting up with that crap and I'll bite the bullet and do without internet service for the 3 weeks or so it takes to get all the equipment sent back to AOL. While in Florida I'll use the park internet service and when I return to Canada I'll use my cable company for the internet.

AOL won't go out of business because they lost me as a customer but their present policy is just not fair to customers who go away for the winter. It's a money grab situation with no thought for the customers' needs.

Goodbye AOL, you didn't serve me well. Hey, I'm a poet!

No comments: