Friday, November 30, 2007

The Knee

Don't think I write about my knee problem to get sympathy. It's just that I think it's a good idea to chronicle important events so that we can all learn from them.

My latest knee pain was caused by standing pretty much in place for 3 hours. The pain was constant and progressive from October 23rd and reached it's apex of intensity around November 25th. I used a combination of Aleve, cold packs, glucosamine, and a brace to try to bring the pain under control. The improvement was so gradual that I couldn't count on it but it really did improve.

I believe the brace and cold packs did the most good. Surprisingly, the pain in my knee was worse at night when I was in bed but I discovered that placing a pillow under it relieved the pain enough to allow me to sleep.

It's no secret that when you are a senior and do any damage to your knee that it's probably permanent so I know I'll continue to have problems. It will all have to be treated medically when I get back home in the spring but I plan to baby it till then.

I've done a lot of walking over the past couple of days using the brace and, uncomfortable as it is, it made walking for more than a couple of minutes possible. I bought it at Walmart for $15 and it's worth every penny.

A hint to the wise...don't stand in place for long with your knees locked. Apparently thats what caused the inflamation in my knee.

4 comments:

Shelley said...

Don't place a pillow directly under your knee - it can disrupt blood flow through the artery behind it. Just place it slightly below the knee under the calf.

Love,
Nurse/Daughter

patsyrose said...

But what seems to hurt is when the knee is completely straight. If I place the pillow under the calf my knee will be straight. Can my lovely nurse/daughter explain that, please??

Shelley said...

I just wrote a page-long dissertation of directions, I think it would be much easier to call you tomorrow! LOL

bluebird of paradise said...

try a drug called RATIO-Meloxicam. it works like a charm. it's an anti inflamatory...... it gave me the first relief i had for my bad knee after constant pain for 7 months!