Saturday, December 01, 2007

Feathering Our Nests

This trailer park is a beehive of activity. New floors are being laid, new curtains hung, new appliances hooked up. To be honest, we tend to buy on the cheap and use park labor or friends with time on their hands to do the jobs but we never seem to stop improving our little homes away from home.

I'm only guessing but I believe some of these trailers would rot into the ground if it wasn't for the nesting instincts of the ladies of the house. We like our homes to look nice even if they only measure 34' long x 8' wide like mine does. I also have a Florida room that measures 22' long x 10' wide and I'm running some things around in my mind about how to do some redecorating out there without spending much money.

My friend, who arrived 6 days ago, is in the process of having laminate flooring laid in her Florida room and it looks so nice it's giving me some thoughts about doing the same for mine but I have to get the leak in my front wall fixed first. The golden rule with owning a trailer in a park where you don't own the land is to never put too much money into it. Trailer parks have been disappearing at a rapid rate for the last few years to make way for housing developments but right now there is a glut of those houses so maybe we're safe for a while.

This morning the sun is trying to shine through the haze and the temperatures should reach into the high 70's. Retirement has certainly brought me to a wonderful place on this earth to spend my winters. And I'm forever thankful for every day I'm allowed.

2 comments:

Kim said...

My ever so humble advice is to hold off on the laminate until you see how those hot, humid summers affect it. My guess is it may be a bad idea.

patsyrose said...

There are quite a few people here already that have installed laminate flooring in their trailers over the past couple of years and there's been no problem. In any case, I have to wait until next year so I can see how Carole's weathers the Florida summer.