Friday, January 25, 2008

Queen for a Day

You may or may not know that I am queen of my park for the year 2008. This was a great honor bestowed upon me when my name was drawn from a can on New Year's Eve. Today was our park parade and I had to perform my duties for the first time.

I wasn't one bit happy about being queen but decided I was going to get in the mood and enjoy it...in the process, it would help everyone else enjoy it. One of the men here, knowing I didn't want to be queen, said he'd thought about parking his bike behind my car so I couldn't run off today. No fear. I follow through with my commitments no matter how much I'd rather not.

For the parade I got to don the purple robe and crown and carry the glass sceptre while riding on a golf cart. My king, Jim, sat proudly by my side as his wife in real life brought up the rear of the parade dressed in shower curtains. It was a humbling moment.

The theme this year was clowns so many of the parade participants were in full clown gear. Our Red Hat ladies came out in force to join in also. It was pretty colorful, what with clowns, Red Hatters, doggy clowns, and even a few children. I think we almost outnumbered the people who lined the streets to watch.

I got to carry the glass sceptre because the last queen carried it. We don't know why. Early on in the parade I motioned with it to the bystanders and the top flew off and rolled down the road. My king, purple robed over t-shirt, ran after it and put my sceptre back together. I think it needs duct tape.

After the parade we all, paraders and watchers, filled the clubhouse for our parade lunch. For $2 we got a hot dog, potato salad, cake, and a drink.

There were prizes given out for best costume, funniest person, etc. Laverne, Jim's wife, won the prize for most imaginative costume. Remember the shower curtains!!!

I may actually hunt down one of the pictures taken because today was fun and I wouldn't mind a photo memory of it. I dreaded it so much but once I decided to loosen up and just let it happen it turned out to be a hoot.

About 20 of us had happy hour at a friend's house and then we Bingo fanatics rushed off to the clubhouse. I mentioned before about rubbing one man's belly for luck but I started to realize tonight that maybe we're rubbing away our own luck. He won 3 times tonight and I won nothing. My king asked me to rub his head and belly and damned if he didn't win, too. There's something wrong here.

I may have to start charging for services.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Post a picture!!! :-)

Did you remember your royal wave?