Monday, April 28, 2008

Troublemaking Myths on the Internet

I receive a lot of e-mails about missing children, rabid terrorists, and other items which are false. Today I received one about a university in Kentucky that supposedly removed mention of the holocaust because it offended Muslim students who don't believe it happened. Something about that e-mail didn't ring true so I followed up with a search on the internet. I was right...it was false.

It got me wondering why the person who originated that e-mail would waste his/her time trying to stir up more anger and suspicion towards the Muslims. We live in a state of nervousness about these people already but what we need are truth and facts about them so we can understand them better. We always fear what we don't understand.

I also wonder about the masses who prefer to believe the holocaust never happened. It was one of the most horrendous examples of human depravity that has ever happened on this earth. We should all share in the shame of what we human beings are capable of committing against one another when we allow ignorance to rule us. We need to be constantly reminded that human beings can be dangerous. And if being reminded keeps another holocaust from happening then I hope the reminders never stop.

Human beings are not perfect. Some kill, some molest, some rob, and the list goes on and on. But there are gems among the germs. I've seen love, compassion, and caring a million times more than I've seen nastiness so we know we can do good if we choose. But we can't let ourselves forget the past...we need to learn from it.

No comments: