Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My New Garden

I need a break from worrying about critters in the attic so I think I'll write about something that makes me tremendously happy...my garden.

My front garden was destroyed last fall when I had to have the front wall of the house waterproofed. I saved most of the perennials from that garden but when it was dug up and the soil redeposited all the horrible mountain clay we have around here made up the back half of the garden. I had my handyman dig out quite a bit of it and then replace it with good garden soil I purchased in one of those huge bags that have to be delivered.

Yesterday my grandson came over and helped me scatter the huge (pretty) rocks I like to see in a garden. They're quite heavy and it helped a lot to have my grandson position them for me. I planted 2 new Alberta Spruce on either side of the front window and then planted some kind of dwarf spreading Juniper in the center.

Nick's job was now finished so I took him out for fish and chips...my payment for his help. He's my eldest grandson and the "apple of my eye". I absolutely adore him but then I absolutely adore all of my grandchilden. Nick and I yakked over our meal and then came back to the house to yak some more. He finally left to cook dinner for his wife who'd had to work that day (it was Nick's day off work). What a wonderful boy!

I decided to try to identify the perennials I'd saved from last fall and had little trouble. A couple hadn't survived the winter but the ones that did were about 10 of the Coral Bells, a couple of hostas, and the 2 Stella Doro lillies. I found the perfect spots in my new garden for all of them.

The garden looks pretty good even though it's not as full as the part it butts up against (not dug up to waterproof the wall). Once I plant the Portulaca in the bare spots it will be even better.

The soil will continue to compact over the winter so I'll probably need to add more next spring and reposition the things I just planted but that's okay. It's all a part of the nest building we gardeners go through every year. We plant, transplant, critique our work, and enjoy the whole process immensely.

It's cold again today and not at all like May weather but I stopped at my favorite garden shop and bought a flat of Impatiens. They're lilac/white and will brighten up one of the small gardens I have in the backyard. I usually buy my plants bit by bit because it's easier to do it that way. It also prolongs the enjoyment.

I hope I never get too old to enjoy this time of the year. It's the time of renewal, the time of growth, and the time of falling in love with the earth once more. I've already peeked out the window and the front door at my new garden dozens of times just to feast on the sight. It makes me very happy.

No comments: