Thursday, May 15, 2008

Nearing the End of the Squirrels

It's been a long and harrowing haul but I think the end of my squirrel saga is near. Kevin (the environment friendly squirrel problem solver) came early this evening, looked at the footprints in the baking soda and declared I definitely had squirrels in the attic. He proceeded to examine my newly installed roof vents and found one already chewed to pieces and he thinks the squirrels might have gotten out today.

He covered all 4 vents with a metal cage, one of which has a way for any remaining squirrels to get out but not back in. I'll know if any babies remain in there if a momma squirrel goes squirrely on the roof in the next day or so. Kevin said he can't allow any babies to die so he'd open the vent up again to allow the momma to go in and get her babies. I tried to hide my callous unconcern as I looked at his sweet, honest face. I want them gone even if it means I have to go out and buy tiny little body bags for them.

If all goes well, Kevin will come back next week and replace the damaged roof vent with a new one and put a permanent cage around it. It all sounds so simple a solution when you finally get the right person for the job. My handyman tried his best but it's time to get in a professional when you've got squirrels in your attic. The cost wasn't too bad, either, so I would have been better off hiring Kevin at the very beginning. Too late we get wise.

Once I know the squirrels have moved out I can get on with my next headache...replacing the furnace. It's another thing I can't ignore so I may as well just deal with it. Life ain't easy but most of our daily problems aren't that earth shattering, either.

No comments: