Sunday, June 15, 2008

Simple Bean Soup Recipe

I hate to cook and I eat very little meat, mainly chicken when I do so it's important that I get protein in my diet. Hence the bean soup. I can just hear my relatives who read this blog snickering to themselves that I have the nerve to print out a recipe but this is for people like me...bad cooks/uninterested cooks.

The recipe has to be simple or I wouldn't be bothered making it. It also tastes great so here it is:

Use a very large pot because the beans swell up and you need lots of water.

I buy large bags of navy beans and toss about half a bag into the pot. Then I put in 2 heaping tablespoons of Knorr beef soup base. Added to that is about 1 heaping tablespoon of Bohio seasoning mix. I also add some lemon pepper and a bit of salt. Then I let the whole thing simmer for an hour or two...depends what else I'm doing.

I also buy large bags of frozen vegetables and, when the initial 1-2 hour simmering is done, toss as much as I feel like into the pot. You don't really need to add meat but sometimes I throw in some chicken or kobassa if it's hiding in my freezer. Let all of this simmer for another hour or so.

Then I gather all my plastic containers and scoop about a cup of soup into each one. They all go into the freezer so that I won't have to cook again for maybe 3-4 weeks. Some of the soup is left out so that I can enjoy it for today's meal.

Take it from me, this soup is easy to make and tastes wonderful. It's also healthy so that's a bonus.

Just a note: When one of the nieces got married all of the women in the family were asked to contribute their favorite recipe for a cookbook to be given to the new bride. My contiribution was "Make reservations". I have no shame.

No comments: