Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Shredded Curtains

Twenty-two plus years ago I splurged the family dollars and had custom sheers made for the livingroom window. Every spring I wash them in the gentle cycle of the washing machine and they look like new but the last few years I've begun to worry they might have reached the end of their life. Last year I left them up without washing because a few minute rips had appeared the year before but I really felt I had to take the chance and wash them this year.

I did and they fell apart. Damn!

Now my livingroom window is bare and faces the afternoon sun...not to mention the apartment buildings a block away. I'm going to splurge once more and have custom sheers made but it will be a few weeks before the window is covered. I haven't gotten the estimate of cost yet but I'm sure it will be more than I paid 22 years ago. Yikes!

Every time I spend the money my husband left me I feel a twinge of guilt. Not only is it the product of his life's work but it's also my children's future inheritance. I know they don't care one bit but I do. Dennis never balked at the cost of the old sheers and I doubt he'd complain about the cost of the new ones but I'm still going to feel that tiny stab of guilt when I pay the bill.

Maybe it's that slight sense of guilt that keeps me from taking a plane to Las Vegas and being a total gambling fool so guilt is not necessarily a bad thing to have.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Curtains, yes...Vegas too, but take me with you.
xoxoxo