Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Mama Mia

Yesterday was my 68th birthday and we celebrated by my 2 oldest daughters taking me out for dinner and then to see the movie, "Mama Mia".

My butt was still sore from sitting for many hours on wooden benches at the Collingwood Elvis Festival and I also have difficulty sitting through a long movie without dozing off. You can see I was a little nervous about sitting through this particular movie. But I didn't need to worry because the movie was excellent.

Meryl Streep has always been one of my favorite actresses but I had no idea she could sing like an angel and I'm still amazed at her physical condition. She ran, she leapt, she did the splits...isn't she closing in on 60???

Not for one moment did I get antsy or sleepy because the movie was heartwarming and the music was a delight to the ears. It was so interesting to see how the songs of ABBA were woven into a story, albeit a fantasy of sorts.

Meryl Streep and her two friends (sorry I don't know their names but their faces were familiar) were in an aging actresses' dream role. They were beautiful, funny, and talented without trying to appear they were still in their 20's. They played their roles with grace and humor.

My youngest daughter had said she cried all the way through but we didn't. There were emotional moments but I was too enthralled with the expressions on Meryl's face and her outstanding acting ability. She is simply fabulous.

My girls and I finished off the evening with a Tim Horton's coffee and met a couple of other relatives there. Some day we're going to discover that Tim Horton's coffee contains a powerful drug we're all addicted to and it won't be just the caffeine.

Thank you, my girls, for a lovely 68th birthday!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I am still in awe from the movie. I have told everyone I've seen today that they must see this movie. I can't wait for an opportunity to see it again...very rarely do I watch movies 2x!!!
It was so much fun, glad we were able to do it.
xoxoxo

Valerie-in-mid-life said...

Hi Auntie. Happy belated birthday! Glad you enjoyed the movie - Carson has seen it and loved it too!