Saturday, November 29, 2008

U.S. Health Care

It's odd but in the last 2 days I've gotten into deep conversations with complete strangers about the difference between the universal health care system in Canada versus the woefully pathetic health care system in the United States.

I consider myself a guest of the U.S. while I'm here and don't initiate my own opinions about their government. My own has more than it's fair share of idiots so who am I to cast aspersions.

A waitress spent a lot of time yesterday telling me how worried she is because she has no health care plan because it would cost her almost $400 per month to carry one.

Today I chatted with 2 senior ladies who, when hearing I was Canadian, immediately asked about our health care. I explained that, while it isn't perfect, it was a million times better than what most Americans have. They agreed that it was shameful for the United States to not have something similar to what we have in Canada. They're pinning their hopes on Barach Obama to bring in a better system.

Poor Obama. He has the weight of the world on his shoulders and if he can come through with even a portion of the miracles needed, he will go down in history as the best president ever.

I thought it was cute the way these 2 senior, white ladies spoke of Obama in such glowing terms. This is a certainly a different world than it was 50 years ago. I hope the beginning of color blindness will progress to full acceptance based on character with never a thought to skin color or nationality of origin.

Once the present financial crisis has been tended to I hope Obama dedicates some time to creating a decent health care system that will cover all Americans.

No comments: