Saturday, February 07, 2009

Disappointed

It looks as though my long lost sister is still long lost. The new lady in the park dropped in today and I had a chance to throw some questions at her about her aunt. It turns out that her aunt is the same age as me but I'm 2 years older than the lost sister so that finishes that.

I am disappointed, even though I haven't put much effort into finding this woman. It's very unlikely I'd ever find her because I don't know the names of the people who adopted her and my mother and grandmother have long ago passed away so I can't quiz them. It will just remain another mystery in my life.

To those women out there who bear children without knowing who fathered them...the effects are lifelong. To those women who illegally give their child up for adoption...the effects are also lifelong. There will be people who wonder all their lives what their ancestry is and who their ancestors are. It makes you feel incomplete.

I don't blame my mother too much for the choices she made. This happened in 1942/1943 when women were horribly ostracized for having children out of wedlock. In those day, the baby was referred to as a "bastard". We've come a long way, baby! Society despised the woman and forgave the man in the past but we've become more enlightened over the years. Today most unions are acceptable as long as both parents support the child. It's a more humane attitude.

In my case, I'm still looking for my sister, born in the winter of 1942/1943 and left to a couple in Ingersol, Ontario. I hope she has had a good life and I also hope to meet her some day.

No comments: