Friday, February 27, 2009

Unwanted Changes

As I sat around our games table last night I sadly realized that most, if not all, of the ladies sitting there wouldn't be back to the park next year. For some it's the state of the economy, for some it's health reasons, and some are just ready to try somewhere new. I've come to care very much for these ladies and always look forward to seeing them when I get to Florida. Most live a little too far away from my home in Canada for us to keep in close contact.

One of my best friends here has just listed her trailer for sale and will probably be moving about 50 miles further south. Sylvia has been a treat to know and hang out with and I'm going to miss her terribly. She's a Canadian but lives in Nova Scotia, about 1000 miles or more away from my place in Ontario so we don't see each other in the summer. It's going to be a tearful goodbye when she sells her trailer. I know her new place will only be 50 miles away but sometimes that's all it takes to change the closeness of a friendship. She'll find new friends and so will I but I'll never forget her because she's one of those special people you seldom come across in your life.

I came to this park for the first time in 1998 and have since gathered a group of friends that are great to be around. They're people you can count on to always have a good time with. It's so depressing to know that this year is the last we'll all be together.

I hate change. I like permanence and I want foreverness with my family and friends. It's unrealistic and impossible but that's what I want. I'll just have to tough it out, won't I?

No comments: