Monday, May 18, 2009

Cleaning Closets

It's beautiful out today, sunny but cool and just perfect for getting some odd jobs done in the house. I cleaned out my closets this morning as I'd planned and I'm always a little ashamed at how many clothes I have...and how many I can do without. I rationalize my excess by telling myself that someone else will be getting some pretty nice things that I've either never worn or worn seldom. I'm a little embarrassed to admit I bought another jacket and blouse yesterday when I was out with my sister. Oh well, it's not the worst addiction to have, is it?

A day like this is also perfect for doing yard work and that's what I'll be doing once it warms up a bit. I'm anxious to try out my new grass trimmer and toss the terrible old one in the garbage. The cut on my leg (from the grass trimmer last week) is still infected and I'm starting to worry again. I'm not sure when the antibiotic will begin to do it's job but the cut should have started to heal by now and it hasn't.

I have a variegated impatiens that has been in the family for quite a few years. I dig it up every fall and give it to my daughter to care for over the winter and then replant it in the garden at the end of May. It's lovely so she must have taken good care of it. Impatiens is quite tender and doesn't like the cold so I'm waiting until later in the week to put it outside. By then the temps should be in the mid 20's celsius (75F) and I'll begin haunting the local plant sellers looking for things to add color to my gardens. I love this time of year!

I've cleaned out a lot of stuff from this house over the past few years and wonder why I allowed myself to accumulate so many unneeded possessions. I've noticed at yard sales that there are a lot of people just like me and then there are the odd few who have only a small table of items they need to dispose of. I don't like people like that. It's not normal. Anyway, I'll have to keep working at cleaning out my disposables for a long time to come.

Everyone should go through their homes with a fine tooth comb every couple of years and get rid of things they don't use or need. It would help save them from a bigger problem later on when it's time to move into smaller quarters. I'm getting there...slow but sure.









No comments: