Monday, September 14, 2009

Don't Open the Door


I got a bit of a scare last night. It was almost 9 P.M. and had been dark outside for a while when a knock came at the door. My neighbors, Lisa and Anna, often drop over in the evening but not that late so that was unusual. I never open the door without looking through the peephole because I'm a big sissy and that's what I did last night. Standing on the front porch was a young man probably in his late 20's. I wisely didn't open the door but just walked away to wait for him to leave...but he didn't.

He continued to knock softly on the door so I phoned Anna who lives across the street and asked her to look over here. By the time she'd gotten herself to her front door, he'd left. I never heard a car so he must have been walking.

I was nervous for the rest of the evening, wondering if I'd over-reacted but also wondering what would have happened if I'd stupidly opened the door to him. Was he dangerous or just a door-to-door salesman? I'm betting I did the wise thing by not opening the door.

It was one of those times that I sort of wished that Yip and Yap, Kim's dogs, were here. One of the rare times I ever wished for the comfort of barking dogs!

4 comments:

Shelley said...

Yikes! Momma - glad you're careful!!

patsyrose said...

The security system makes me feel safer, too.

Kim said...

Keep that door locked and ask the girls to call you before they come over if it's after dark xoxoxo

patsyrose said...

I always look through the peephole before opening the door. It's not something I have to remind myself to do. I do it because I'm afraid not to.