Saturday, September 12, 2009

Mohawk College Garage Sale...2009

I've been to these garage sales a few times over the years but never participated in one until today. I was impressed by how well organized it is and I'm sure that most of the young people managing things were volunteers. Proceeds from vendor rentals went to the United Way, too, and it's a terrific way to raise funds.

I picked Kim up before 7 A.M. but Cindy had to take her own car...mine was too full of stuff to fit her in. All the merchandise was on the back seat and some in Kim's lap because we'd put the tent in the trunk. We really could have fit more stuff in the trunk but I was afraid the tent would squash it.

Traffic into Mohawk's parking lot where the sale was held was speedy and well organized. Our only problem was finding our rented spot because, even though they were marked, there was a lot of congestion with other dealers trying to unload their own merchandise. Once found, I was able to park my car in one spot and use the other 2 to put up the tent. My girls went over to pick up the 10' table supplied for us and, once everything was arranged, we had more room than we needed. I know now that I could have taken over some of my own (actually Faye's) folding tables to use also. We had 3 parking spots which turned out to be very generous.

The weather was fine, overcast but no rain. The sun came out off and on and it was pretty hot then so the tent shade proved quite useful.

We all had a good time. The customers were friendly and interesting...one even flirted with me according to my girls. I guess I'm too old to recognize it any more. No matter, I'm just not interested because I'm enjoying being on my own too much.

We packed up at 2 P.M. and my profit wasn't wonderful but at least it was better than I've made selling at the hospital. Cindy had to get home to her dog but Kim went out for an early dinner with me. It was a really nice day spent with my daughters who both enjoy my new venture. I'm a happy lady.

No comments: