Friday, October 16, 2009

Roof is Done











I'm not sure about this new roof because it looks old. I checked them out on the internet and now know that the shingles used are self sealing once the heat of the sun hits them but I wonder if that won't be until next summer. Roofers always work in the winter so I guess there's nothing to worry about...but it still looks like an old roof right now.

The poor roofers had terrible conditions to work in yesterday. It was bitter cold for this time of the year and there was a bit of rain drizzle mixed in with flurries. The last time we had the roof done it was on a warm summer day and the roofers were singing. No singing this time, though. It's a dangerous job, too, because they have to clamber all over sometimes highly pitched roofs. It's not a job I'd ever want to do myself.

This morning the eavestrough people showed up (pictures show work in progress) and their working conditions are much the same as yesterday. It's cold, windy, with rain/snow showers on the horizon. I think I'm enjoying this work being done because it's as close as I'll ever get to building my own house. I've always thought it would be so much fun to design your home and have it built to your specific needs. This will never happen for me so I'll just enjoy what I can do.

Next major job will be done on Monday when the basement on the side of the house will be waterproofed. It looks like I'm hunkering down for a cold winter but I'm really just hoping to get all of this work done so I can escape to Florida.

Life is good.

No comments: