Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Thanksgiving

This has been one of the nicest Thanksgiving weekends in my memory. I had a lovely family dinner on Sunday at my nephew, Dwayne's, farm and then another family dinner on Monday at my grandson, Nick's, home.

Time spent with family is so pleasurable, especially when all the family members get along with each other. I can't even imagine what it's like for feuding families. Family dinners are a good way for various factions of a family to renew acquaintances or even to get to know each other better. Yesterday we had 2 babies, Nolan (3 months) and Aislin (2 months), and it made the day just a little nicer having babies to share it with.

When I'm in the midst of enjoying a family get-together, a part of my mind always slips away and feels a little sad for people who have no family close by. A large part of our identity and life purpose comes from the place we occupy in our family so I think it must be icy cold to be truly alone. At least it would be for me.

Matthew saved yesterday's turkey bones for me to bring home and make soup. Smart boy. It's simmering on the stove right now and the tantalizing smells are filling the house. It's a Thanksgiving that keeps on giving even days later.

No comments: