Saturday, October 03, 2009

Why aren't I Bored?

I live alone and the only person I have to clean up after is me so my housework doesn't take up much of my time. I cook only rarely and that's usually a big pot of soup so cooking doesn't take up much of my time, either. I don't work and I seldom labor in the garden. Just what keeps me from being bored?

There so many projects that I either have on the go or am planning to do. There are countless numbers of things that interest me and brand new things of interest that I discover every day. My family and friends fill spaces just about every day (and every single day of the winter in Florida). I don't worry about much of anything because I'm a fatalist. I just hope nothing bad happens that will break my heart.

There is never a day that I don't have plans. Sometimes it's just to catch up on neglected housework or gardening but there is never a time when I sit alone wondering what to do with myself. There are always those semi-planned "projects" I could start, too.

Retirement and old age doesn't have to mean vegetating until you die. This time of of your life brings you a freedom that was impossible in your youth because you were tied down then with commitments...paying for a house, raising kids, saving for your retirement. People are living longer these days and many are choosing to retire earlier to enjoy the fruits of their youthful labors. They are the smart ones.

When my husband asked if he could afford to retire, I told him that we'd need less income and live better but he didn't believe me at first. It turned out to be true, though. To begin with, you stop having to put money aside for your retirement. You use less gas in the car. You don't have to buy as many clothes. Your income is lower so you pay less income tax. Seniors get all kinds of discounts...movies, restaurants, theme parks, etc.

My husband also used to say that if he'd known he was going to live so long he would have taken better care of himself. Even though I've never taken good care of myself physically, I have to admit that's very true. It's even more important to be in good health when you're a senior than at any other time of your life. We don't recover from illnesses or injuries as easily as we did when we were young and immobility is disastrous for a senior.

We also need to keep our minds active or we, ourselves, become boring. Some use puzzles or read books regularly but that's not for me. I prefer to do research on the computer and play card games with friends. It doesn't matter what venue you choose so long as it's not just sitting in front of the T.V. all day long, the trick is to keep on learning and not stagnate.

When I was a teenager, I hadn't learned to enjoy my own company and so was bored unless with kids my own age. When I was in my 20's and 30's, I was bored because my life wasn't exciting enough for me. In my 40's and 50's, I began to grow up and learned to follow my own interests instead of those others thought I should pursue. By the time I toddled into my 60's, I'd discovered how to be happy and stay happy. All it took was following my own lead, keeping what was interesting and passing by what wasn't.

My personal interests might be bland to some but they're perfect for me. Boredom will finally catch up to me when I'm ill and feeble but, until that day, I've got fun plans.


1 comment:

bluebird of paradise said...

great/good wisdom. you should send this to Zoomer magazine