Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Approaching 70

Every decade of my life (except age 10), I've approached the birthday with a sense of trepidation...just a little fearful of leaving the comfort of one decade behind me as I am pushed into the next, possible not so nice decade.

The very worst one for me was the year I turned 50 because I was depressed about it for a good six months before it actually occurred. 50 was old in my eyes and meant that the end of my life was all too near.

By the time I reached 60, I had come to realize that age isn't so bad after all. With age comes a few unexpected benefits. Number 1 is that menstruation is gone (for a woman) and no longer an inconvenience. Number 2 is that younger people make exceptions in your case due to your advanced age. Number 3 is that you don't have to worry that being friendly will be misconstrued as flirting. It might actually be but no-one would ever expect it.

I'll turn 70 next week and the only feeling I have about it is one of surprise that I made it this far. The ten year mark is no longer a fearsome thing because, once you're old, you're old and nothing is going to change that. I'm glad I learned acceptance early enough to enjoy my old age. Maybe I'd be bitter if I was in constant pain or in a bad relationship but that isn't the case right now. I'm enjoying life this week at age 69 and I'll enjoy it just as much next week when year 70 rolls around.

Life is good.

No comments: