Thursday, July 15, 2010

Conserving Power

I've come to the conclusion that it's time I started paying more attention to the electrical power I waste. When Donna visited the other day she reminded me that doing laundry in the middle of the day was costing me more than if Idid it in the early morning or later in the evening. This would be such an easy adjustment for me and also be more cost efficient.

The weather has been terribly hot lately and is supposed to remain that way for a while yet which means that, for the first time, I'll be more dependant on the air conditioning. I reset the temperature from 75 to 78 but find that a little bit too high. Still, if I have it set at 76 or 77, that would also save a bit on energy.

My house is a storey and a half and the upstairs remains uncomfortably warm even with air conditioning but last night I turned the ceiling fan on medium and opened the bedroom window wide. This cooled off the room better than the air conditioning.

I'm really not concerned about depleting our power sources but I think it only makes sense to not waste money needlessly so I'll try to be more conscious of how I use electricity. Air conditioning set at a tolerable level, unused lights off, and laundry done in the early morning. Not hard to do!

No comments: