Thursday, July 01, 2010

Seniors Giving Birth

I am utterly amazed that any woman over the age of even 50 would consider giving birth. It's sort of creepy to see these senior ladies pregnant, usually by invitro fertilization with a younger woman's egg, and then ecstatically holding their newborn child. They really do look so happy but it's all unnatural. If they're postmenopausal, then they've totally gone against nature.

Raising a child is hard on you physically and emotionally even in your 20's and 30's. A child needs a mother who will be able to keep up with them into their teens and adulthood. If you're 65 (and some are!) and give birth, just how many years will your child have with you and how many will be good years?

I also don't understand why these old mothers don't decide to adopt a child. You can satisfy your mothering instincts and love an adopted child just as easily as one you give birth to. But the biggest question in my mind is why any senior woman would want to be tied down with a baby at all.

I adore my grandchildren and my greatgrandchild but part of the joy is knowing I can leave them with their parents when I've had enough. I can go home to a quiet house and think only of myself. Selfish? Yes, but I've paid my dues and this is my reward.

Many seniors are raising small children by circumstances. Either the child's parents are unstable or have passed away and so it's left to the grandparents to care for the children. That is something completely different because they had no choice but to give the children a home. Most seniors would step in and care for their grandchildren if it was necessary. But you'd be hard pressed to find a senior lady who craves to give birth again.

For one thing, seniors become a little forgetful. We might set the little darlin' down and forget where we left them. That's as good an excuse as any to stop producing babies before we're 50.

No comments: