Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Kids Will Get Into It

Faye told me today that she's having her youngest grandchild, Avry, overnight tonight for the first time. Avry is 2 3/4 years old, a lovely little well-behaved girl. Faye is worried that she will get into something that might hurt her like the pills in the bottom drawer of the bathroom cabinet. Avry's parents say not to worry because she doesn't get into stuff like that. Oh Yeah???

My Cindy ate cigarette butts, turpentine, and Carnation milk out of the can. She stuck a cherry pit up her nose....and she was also a nice, well-behaved little girl.

My Shelley ate a bottle of baby aspirin. She was an extremely well-behaved child.

My Kim must have gotten into something but it escapes me at the moment. (She informed me that, yes, she did do something a little icky...she scooped poop out of her diaper and feasted on it. Now I'm wondering what the heck was wrong with my kids!!!!)

Don't ever believe your little treasure is different from other kids and wouldn't shove poison down their precious little throats given half the chance. They would! They don't think like an adult. They are babies.

I was a more aware grandmother than I was a mother so none of my grandchildren swallowed anything vile while I had them but that was because I never took my eyes off them. I made them hold my hand when we were out so a car wouldn't hit them or a pedophile wouldn't grab them. I was a worrier and who wouldn't have become like that considering I'm Cindy's mother.

Cindy once got the pointy edge of a coat hanger caught on the inside of her eyelid. I don't know if she was traumatized by that but it just about finished me off. She also decided one day to get something from the top of a chest of drawers and very smartly pulled each drawer out to use as steps. I caught her just as the chest of drawers tipped over. Don't ever be surprised at what a child will get into.

I guess the best advice is to not take chances. Even if we watch the little darlin's like a hawk, they'll still find a way to get into dangerous situations. Love them and hope for the best.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I remember you told me I ate my own poop :)

patsyrose said...

Right!!!! You dug it out of your diaper! I also forgot to mention that Cindy very nicely peed in her pottie and then drank it. I don't know how you kids ever survived!