Friday, September 17, 2010

Itchy Right Palm

My right palm is quite itchy all of a sudden and I tried to remember the old wive's tale my grandmother used to tell me. I thought it was either money coming in or that you were about to meet someone new.

I did some internet surfing and found out that the superstition concerning an itchy right palm is that you have money coming to you. Whoopee! I wonder where it's coming from, though, because no-one owes me a cent.

When I was a child, I didn't exactly believe in old wive's tales but I took precautions not to bring bad things my way. For instance, I made sure not to step on cracks because it just might possibly break my mother's back and I was taking no chances!

Walking under ladders was to be avoided, too, just in case it brought bad luck. I swear I don't believe in this crap but you won't see me deliberately walk under a ladder if there is any other way around it. Silly, yes, but that's just the way it is.

I wonder why our parents tortured us kids with this kind of stuff? It only caused stress which stayed with some of us our whole lives.

No comments: