Thursday, January 27, 2011

75 Isn't What It Used To Be

When I was a child in the 1940's, anyone who lived to the ripe old age of 75 was considered to be at death's door. When I was in my 30's, 75 was considered old as dirt. Now that I'm 70, I know that things just aren't what they used to be and turning 75 doesn't mean the end of life.

I know people in their 80's who tire me out. Many of these people take no medications, live a lively life, have all mental faculties, and, believe it or not, have a damned good sex life. Now, the last part is only what I hear so it's either true or wishful thinking!

Sometimes when a group of us get together and the subject of conversation turns to age, we all seem to have the same opinion of it. The years might be there but in our minds we're easily 20 years younger. Oldsters are more socially active than they were 50 years ago. We have pensions, cars, and meeting places that weren't so abundant in those days and this gives us a better standard of living. I think it would be beneficial for all middle aged people to visit a senior center and they might discover that old age isn't necessarily something to be feared. In fact, they might also discover that it's a goal worth reaching.

I joke about being an old lady but I don't feel like an old lady in my mind. It's only when I look in the mirror and am surprised at the age in my face that I realize that, yes, I am old but it doesn't matter all that much to me.

Age is just a number and a high number doesn't mean you can't live a full and enjoyable life. It only means you are a wealth of information and experience.





No comments: