Monday, May 30, 2011

Weeding Day

My front garden is full of weeds that have not been tended to since last fall. My excuse is that we've had too much rain but on good days I just haven't felt like weeding. Today is the day, though. At least this morning is!

Once the weeding is done, I'll go to the nursery and buy the last of the plants...mostly portulaca for the sunny front of the house but something entirely different for the few shady planters in the back yard. I've been very good this year about cutting back on annuals.

My precious grandson, Nick, is coming later this afternoon to cut the grass so my yard should look darned good when it's all finished. It's such a good feeling for me to have a pretty yard, more so than it is to have a spic and span clean house. My mother and grandmother were spotless housekeepers but that doesn't apply to me. I attempt neatness but don't look too closely. My mother-in-law, Ferne, had the same approach to life that housework can wait if there's something more interesting to do.

My lady ancestors didn't blog, Swedish weave, gamble, drive, or play on the computer so they had more time than I do to clean house. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

No comments: