Monday, June 27, 2011

Fabric

I'd always thought I'd never been much of a collector of anything but the existence of too many bins of fabric in my sewing room tells another story. I've always loved shopping for fabric and it was the most fun I had when planning a sewing project. Once bought, the actual work had to be done and that wasn't always fun.

When I became interested in quilting, my choices for fabric became much more colorful and, therefor, much more fun to shop for. In the beginning I'd only buy what I needed for the quilt I was planning but then I got into buying ahead of time for future quilts. I have a very nice sewing room in the basement with a nice large closet and in that closet are about 7 bins of fabric. I have no idea about colors or patterns because I haven't looked in there in years. So sad.

When I started cleaning out the sewing room last week, I expected to be able to go through all the bins of fabric but only managed to measure and mark the 2 bins full that weren't in the closet. Now most people might think I have a daunting task ahead of me but I look at it this way. At some point in my life I chose some beautiful fabrics to buy so when I open those bins it will be like Xmas morning. I'll be able to ooh and ahh all over again at their beauty. And, sad as it will be, I'll know that people just like me will be only too happy to buy them cheaply at the yard sale I plan to have. They can store them in bins in their sewing room closets.

No comments: