Tuesday, August 09, 2011

The Gift of Rain

The sound of a softly falling rain on a parched landscape. Can there be a more soothing sound? I can almost hear the plantlife soaking in this life giving gift from the heavens and the dark skies promise more to come.

For some reason, what I see outside today reminds me of being in a cottage with family and watching the same sight through the windows. I don't remember exactly when this happened but I know it must have because the thought is so strong. The picture in my mind is of me standing at the window and of a happily noisy group of family behind me, talking and laughing, waiting for the rain to stop so they can hustle outdoors again.

I love being surrounded by greenery. When I see photos of desert countries, it creates an aversion in me and I'm so very happy that my ancestors chose to live in a land of flora and fauna instead of barren soil.

This rain has also cooled the air and I have opened windows and doors to let the sweet breeze drift through the house. It's only with a gentle rain that you can do this because it won't be driven through the windows.

I feel at peace.

No comments: