Sunday, September 11, 2011

Scamming Seniors

I'm not sure why scammers find it so easy to get money from seniors. Most of the seniors I know could spot a scammer a mile away and would never hand over money to them but that doesn't seem to be the case with some seniors.

I wonder if it's the lonely ones who become victims. There are a lot of lonely old people who might fall victim just because a person has been kind and polite to them. It's sort of the same reason why some women (of all ages) become victims of men who promise them the moon.

When you see these scammed seniors interviewed by police or reporters, they don't seem to be addle brained but just too trusting. I think that the more these scams are reported to the public the more aware seniors will be and therefore on guard. It's a shame that there is so little respect for the elderly in our culture that we need to be careful who we trust.

I have noticed that when I've made unusually large withdrawals from the bank, the teller will tactfully ask what it's for and I'm not insulted by that. It's a good thing for all of us to look out for each other.

No comments: