Thursday, February 09, 2012

Dreams

Dreams must mean something even if the meaning is obscure. My dreams these days are almost exclusively pleasant but I seldom remember much of them when I wake up, just the sensation of having been involved in an easy existence for a while.

For years I had the recurring dream of flying and then being dragged down to earth by running into power lines or trees. That was a simple message...I wanted to escape the ties that bound me but couldn't quite do it.

A recurring nightmare I had as a child was of my grandfather's brother's head on a plate on the table. I wonder what that was about, though.

A sort of interesting dream I very often had as a child was of what looked like the heart rhythms' machine you see connected to hospital patients. In my dream, the rhythms began on both the left and right of the frame and continued toward each other until they collided in the middle. That's when I would wake up.

But last night I had my first nightmare in a long time. I was in a van with my husband and he put it on some sort of cruise control while we were driving along a narrow road. Then he left the driver's seat to go into the back of the van for something. I woke up screaming at him to get back and steer the car. Hmmm! Could that be my inner feelings about having to deal with everything by myself now?? Sounds reasonable, doesn't it?

I do believe our dreams are the result of our brains continuing to try to make sense of our lives even as we sleep. These days I have a mainly peaceful life, therefore peaceful dreams usually go with it. Life is pretty darned good.

No comments: