Sunday, March 04, 2012

Tornado

Tornadoes have been causing untold damage to the United States lately and it always makes me wonder what kind of chance a person in a trailer would have if a tornado hit them. If a tornado is powerful enough to level a brick building, just think what it can do to a tin can trailer.

I woke this morning to hear a roar in the wind that sounded somewhat like the train sound you hear with a tornado. I listened carefully as the wind became stronger and stronger until the rain began pelting my little trailer, wondering if it really was a tornado. The wind and rain roared through at a fast pace before heading for parts unknown. It may not have been a tornado but it was a reminder that nature can be gentle or it can be vicious.

I'm thinking now that I was wrong to remain in bed just listening for so long (moments) but should have sprung up and better assessed if I was in danger. Tornadoes don't give a lot of warning and I would have been better able to cope with a severe storm if I was up and ready to move out to safer protection. The only place in this park that could offer any security is the pool room at the library and it's not very big but it is close by.

The wind was very strong last evening as we sat and watched the talent show in the clubhouse and I worried that it might cause a problem with planes landing at the airport. One of my friends was expecting her family to fly in at 10 P.M. and I knew that the storm was approaching. Luckily it held off until this morning so I'm hoping any damage done was minimal.

Marilee's daughter lives in Little Rock, Arkansas and Marilee said it isn't unusual for them to have up to 16 tornadoes come through in a day. How terrifying to live under those conditions! It's true that not all tornadoes are deadly but many are and we should never take chances when given warnings. It seems to me that there have been way too many deadly tornadoes so early this year and I wonder how we'll fare throughout the summer. I wonder if my little tin can trailer will still be here next October when I return south. It's up to nature, I guess.

No comments: