Saturday, June 16, 2012

Mulch is Nice

A nice man from "Seniors for Seniors" came this morning and spread the mulch on most of my front garden.  6 bags didn't do the job completely, though, so I've asked Cindy to get me 6 more.  I'm really pleased with the look of my garden but I'd like to have a deeper layer of mulch anyway.  The smaller section right in front of the diningroom window has no mulch at all and I can use anything left over for the gardens in the back yard.


"Seniors for Seniors" charges me about $20 per hour plus tax and I consider that well worth the cost if I don't have to lug heavy bags of mulch to do the job myself.  I'm hoping it won't need to be done again (after topping it up this year) for a couple of years.  Nick (from S for S) was here 2 hours, worked kind of slow but, after all, he is a senior, too.


I'm really happy with the way it looks and I'm hoping the small hosta in the sort of bare spot fills out nicely this summer.  I've always planted impatiens or portulaca in that garden to fill in but I now prefer the mulch instead because it has such a nice, neat appearance.


I still need to do some trimming in the back yard but the bulk of work is mostly done and the annuals (what's left after the damn squirrels got into them!!) are filling out beautifully.  I remember when I thought squirrels were cute but that's before they moved into my house uninvited.  They're nothing but rats with bushy tails and they cause more damage to houses and gardens than I ever could have imagined.  They're out of my house now but I guess there's no way to keep them out of the garden.  Sometimes I wish Dennis was back with his slingshot!







No comments: