Sunday, January 20, 2013

Changing Your Dreams (or Nightmares)

Often, when having a dream I'm not comfortable with (like walking naked in the public or being frightened by something), I have usually been able to consciously change the scenario.  Sometimes I'm aware that I'm sleeping in the wrong position and try desperately to awaken enough to be able to move.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Last night was a first for me, though.

It was around 1 A.M. and I was deeply asleep but dreaming that my sleeping position was uncomfortable for me.  In my dream (and apparently in reality), my leg was slightly hanging over the side of the bed.  I tend to sleep with my feet outside the bed covers so this was normal.  In my dream I tried to awaken but couldn't so decided that I should, with great difficulty, gather the strength to shift my leg further over the side of the bed until I would fall off and be startled enough to awaken.  Remember that I thought all of this was happening in my dream only.

Moments, or possibly hours later, I realized that I'd succeeded as I started to tumble from the bed...not in my dream but darned well in reality.  Now I was lying on the floor all twisted in the bedding, giggling as I tried to extricate myself enough to get back on my feet.  Not easy in the little space between my bed and the wall!  I was pretty surprised because this was the first time I'd ever fallen out of bed but didn't notice until climbing back in (after remaking the bed) that I hurt in quite a few places.  Not badly but just enough to make me feel kind of stupid.

I'll have to remember the next time I manipulate a dream or nightmare that I don't hurt myself in the process.

On a more somber note, one of our residents fainted in the clubhouse this morning and an ambulance was called.  Barb and I were at my trailer talking when we heard the ambulance's siren.  Being in a senior park, we always stop talking and listen to see if the siren stops at our park because that means it's one of our own.  Then the ambulance slowly passed my trailer and stopped in front of my neighbor's (Chuck & Betty, who are in their 80's).  I was terrified and raced outside, hoping they were okay.  Luckily it wasn't for them but for another resident in the clubhouse across the road.  He's been very ill but was taken to the hospital for examination and then sent home.

My intense reaction to worrying it might be my neighbors shows how much these people come to mean to us.  Chuck is one of those soft spoken, true southern gentlemen we don't see much of these days and he has a tendency to climb up on his roof to do repairs so my first thought was of him.  Betty isn't 100% well, either so my second thought was of her.  I gave them big hugs and told Chuck to stay off the roof because I couldn't handle the stress.

Not one of my favorite days!



No comments: