Thursday, April 25, 2013

Nitrogen Sprayed

Twice a year I visit my dermatologist to inspect the skin damaged spots on my face and she sprays them with liquid nitrogen.  They bubble up appropriately and, soon after, the little scabs left behind fall off and nice new skin is revealed.  Unfortunately, that nice new skin gradually begins to get rough and patchy until we start the same procedure all over again.

Today I made my semi annual visit and got sprayed.  This time, however, the dermatologist said she wants to see me in August to scrape away any skin that doesn't heal properly.  I'm okay with that but it does sound kind of icky, doesn't it?  The only good thing about it is that it may do the trick permanently.  If it does, I'll be wondering why she wasted so many years spraying me.

The sunburns I got many years ago are what's haunting me today and it's mainly because I'm cursed with freckled Irish skin that just won't tan.  I never used sunscreen years ago, either, and that's another factor.  It's like getting lung cancer from smoking for most of your life before knowing it was bad for you.  I never smoked in my life but sure inhaled a lot of second hand smoke from Dennis so I'm not sure I'm safe in that area, either.

I'm very lucky to have doctor's and dermatologist's fees covered by OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) or I'd be facing some hefty costs.  Many Americans are very afraid of government health insurance but they might change their minds if they researched our Canadian plans.  From what I understand, there are other countries whose health insurance plans work even better than ours, too.

It's a comforting thought to know you won't be drained financially if you require health care, especially if you have a chronic condition that will always need looking after.  Dental care isn't provided by OHIP and I've always thought that was a shame.  People who can't afford to take care of their teeth often suffer poor health because of it.  But I guess no plan is perfect and I really am grateful for what is covered by OHIP.



    




No comments: