Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Walking/? For Charity

Something I've never understood is people who walk, run, paddle board, whatever, across the country (or world) to raise money for their selected charity.  The idea is to convince others to sponsor them in their quest and that money goes to charity.  Why don't we just donate the money to our own choice of charity and forget about the people who make themselves the symbol of incentive?

I remember Terry Fox running across Canada to raise money for cancer research and it was a very moving time.  I also remember wondering how much money it took to feed, house, and provide gas and vehicles for his entourage.  I wonder if the money raised was worth his effort.  These events are newsworthy, though, because of the emotional impact.

I guess what bothers me most is that I question the motives of the walker/runner/paddle boarder.  Is the money raised to bring attention to the cause or to them?  Aren't I the cynical one?

  

No comments: