Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Old Facebook Pictures and Equality

I'm just listening to the comedy channel on T.V. and the comedian is talking about how many people put old, really old, photos of themselves on Facebook.  I happen to know a couple of people who do that and it's really hilarious.  If you ran into these people, you'd never recognize them now.  I can only imagine the reason they use 20 year old photos is to pretend they're something they're not.  Ick!

Now on to something serious...I saw on my granddaughter's facebook comments that a Texas senator filibustered for half a day trying to prevent the government from passing a bill to criminalize abortions.  My own stand on abortions is a little shaky because I understand that a fetus is a human being but I also feel strongly that a woman should have the right to decide what happens to her own body.  But when it comes down to the nitty gritty, I have to side with the woman's rights.

There was a time in North America when women were nothing more than chattels of the male population (still are in some parts of the world) so we've come a long way in demanding and earning our equal rights.  Judging by what's happening in Texas, we obviously haven't reached full equality yet.  Our governing bodies are heavily dominated by men so until that is changed and the ratio is more even we won't really have equality, either.

I've written before about how it was to be a female in the 1950's when I was just a teen and how I was brainwashed to believe in the status quo where males dominated.  Living through the 1960's when smart and strong women marched and sometimes made fools of themselves in their quest for equal rights was an eye opener for me.  It was as though I'd been living in darkness previous to that time with no idea that women were being treated unfairly by men until it was pointed out to me by the "women's movement".  And once your eyes are opened, you can't close them to injustice.

The 1960's was an important decade because it changed our world.  We were taught that racism and sexism were unfair and not to be tolerated.  Hard to believe that such enlightenment came about in so short a time but it did...and it was a joy to witness.  Unfortunately, here it is 50+ years later and some of both still exist but there has been definite improvement so there is hope we'll extinguish racism and sexism in the next 50 years.

But Texas is lagging behind.  It might take them 60 years but it will happen!

No comments: