Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Toronto Drowned Out

Poor Toronto got deluged with intense, prolonged rainfall yesterday right at dinnertime which ruined the homeward bound trips of thousands of people.  As bad as it was to see this, and knowing it affected my Cindy and Valerie, I was still grateful that the drowning rainfall missed my city.  The house has not been paid for yet and I would have had a nervous breakdown if I'd been flooded out.

I don't ever remember flooding rainfalls like we've had in southern Ontario in the recent past.  The weather patterns seem to have changed drastically from when I was a little girl.  In the 1940's and 1950's, we had hot summers and cold, snowy winters with little variation but these days there seems to be all kinds of surprises from the weatherman.  It isn't unusual any more to need the air conditioning one day and a heater the next, even in Florida.

I talked to Cindy this morning and she's inventorying the damage to the merchandise in the warehouse  where she works in Toronto.  Apparently it's severe.  The news is filled with photos of submerged go-trains and highways and people abandoning their cars for fear of drowning in the rising water.  The subways must be ruined.  It's almost like what happened in New Jersey but we're so far inland it's something no-one would ever have expected could happen.

Ottawa may be the capital city but Toronto is really the hub of Ontario business and I'm sure this storm will have a devastating effect on our economy for a short period in any case.

In the mean time, I'm ever thankful that my city was spared and my house isn't waterlogged.

  

No comments: