Friday, August 09, 2013

Brenda Heist..I Understand.

There's a tragic story of a severely depressed woman going through a divorce and terrified she can't support her two young children.  So she walks away and doesn't come back for 11 years.  Brenda Heist knew her children would be well cared for by their father but, in her eyes, she was only a drain on the family and was better off gone.

I watched this sad story on Youtube on a Dr. Phil show and I ached with understanding how she could have left the way she did because I remember often wanting to do the same thing during my depression days.  I remember thinking how easy it would be to just leave all my troubles behind me and to start a new, untroubled life somewhere else.  I remember the draw those thoughts had for me.  What stopped me was simply being unable to hurt my children in that way.  Brenda Heist was a little deeper depressed than I was and it led to her living an even sadder life than the one she left behind.

There, but for the grace of whoever, go I.  

No comments: