Saturday, August 31, 2013

Seeing the Other Side

When I was going through counselling for my depression back in the 1980's, one of the most important things I learned was that all is not what it may seem and that we should always look at every episode in different ways.  Don't just see the worst scenario because that might not be the truth at all.

This little trick not only helped me see beyond my fears but it also taught me to stop and think before acting.  That moment of calm where I allowed myself the time to judge made my judgement more accurate.  That's not to say that sometimes the worst scenario never, ever happened but I did learn that my world wasn't always crashing around me.  A simple hesitation in judging a situation made me smarter and, knowing I'd be able to assess the situation better, it also gave me a coping skill I'd lacked before.

You know that awful feeling of flying by the seat of your pants...well, that was how I lived my life back in the day.  There is a wealth of peace and calmness in my life now and, boy, can I see the difference it makes.  There's no way you can make normal decisions when you're in a frantic state.  It takes a calm mind.

I've never had any shame about having had depression, just been very grateful that I was finally led to a place where I could get help.  I still say it was the counselling that did the most good because it taught me that simple trick of stopping and thinking, just for a moment, before letting my emotions run rampant.  My counsellor was a woman and I think that was best for me because only a woman can understand what another woman is feeling.  The counselling ended many years ago but I continue to this day to practice what she taught me.  It's second nature now but I'll always be thankful for her expertise...and OHIP, of course!  Our government health insurance allowed me 16 years of therapy at no cost to me.  And I'm reaping the rewards in my life today.   

  

No comments: