Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Day Will Come

Seniors don't spend their time worrying about how they'll end up in their last days but they don't bury their heads in the sand either.  There's only one way out of this crazy life and seniors are usually a little closer to it than our progeny.

While still in my right mind, and that might be debatable, I've told my children that they should put me in a nursing home when I can't take care of myself any longer.  Under no circumstances do I want to burden my children with having to take care of me in their homes when and if I'm demented or bedridden.  Parents who load their children with guilt and demand never to be put in a nursing home are very selfish people.

My only worry is that nursing homes are extremely expensive and I'd hate to see my children left with nothing in their inheritance.  I'm not afraid of death, more curious about what comes next, and I sure don't want to linger here on earth in an incapacitated state.  One day in the distant future, we'll be able to pre-plan our leaving.  Isn't it more cruel to keep an aged person alive when there's nothing left except an empty shell?

The day will come for all of us when decisions have to be made as to where we'll spend our final days and those of us who love our children don't want to spend it in their homes.  Put us in a nice, clean and friendly nursing home, visit us often, and see to the details of our passing.  That's what I want.

But not yet!  I'm 73 years old with loving family and friends.  I'm having a heck of a good time in my elder years with many interests.  It just might be the best time of life...between labor and death...and I'm enjoying it to the fullest.  But keep in mind my wishes because they are said with the knowledge that all good things come to an end one day.   

No comments: